Sunday, January 5, 2014

Get Organized in 2014!

If you're like me, you need a list to keep you on task throughout the day.  It can be very overwhelming, especially when you have little kids, to look at the mess in your house and knowing what you need to do but don't know where to begin.  I started this schedule last week and it's helping me be accountable for what I do (I placed it on the fridge so I can see it often) and it also feels great when I can check something off my list.  

Here's an example of mine from this week: 

I just found this great option on my washing machine: "delay start."  Before I go to bed on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights I throw in a load, add soap, and hit 'delay start' for 7-8 hours (the options are 1 hour increments all the way up to 9 hours).  So that means at 7am as I'm getting the boys dressed to bring my oldest to preschool, my washing machine is automatically starting a load for me!   By the time I return home from dropping him off, the load is already done and I can switch it over to the dryer.  Then I fold it as soon as I put the boys to nap (that's what the "finish laundry" check mark is on Monday, Wednesday & Friday).  I'm hopeful that this will help me keep up with all the laundry from five people.   This can work even if your washing machine doesn't have this setting - just put the clothes and soap in the night before, and take 10 seconds to turn it on and start it in the morning.  If you need to set an alarm on your phone.

I used to have a separate page for my meal planning and grocery list, but I added it on here so I can see it all in one place.  As I cook meals each day, if I use the last of an item I can add it to the "Purchase" area so at the beginning of the next week I have my grocery list already started!

My weight loss battle continues in 2014 and I'm really trying to be better at drinking water.  I bought a large 20 ounce water bottle from Walmart (the Dollar Tree also has them) and so this motivates me to drink at least two of those each day.  As I finish one and go to fill the second, I put an X through the water bottle on the page which is right above the drink dispenser on the fridge.  

So there you have it.  I can't say this is a fool proof way to stay organized and on top of things because I haven't been using it for long, but I think it'll work.  

Click on this picture to download and print a blank template!
(Click on the picture to bring up the larger version, right click and select "save image as")

Post here if you have any helpful tips or tricks you use in your house to get the housework completed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment